Skin care secrets - Love the skin you're in!
Is beauty really skin deep? The answer is yes and no. True beauty and skin care secrets begin from the inside out. The best route to healthy skin is to take care of what you have. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Your skin takes a beating from the environment every single day. Here are some skin care secrets for keeping your skin fresh and healthy.
1. Create your own facial masks. Here are some excellent masks that you can create with ingredients right from your kitchen:
Oatmeal mask: Mix oatmeal with skim milk and apply.
Egg mask: A raw egg yolk makes an excellent face mask. Try adding a little honey to the egg yolk for a change of pace.
Mayo mask: Mayonnaise makes another terrific face mask and will leave your skin feeling very soft.
Peach brandy mask: In the mood for something different?! Mix up a tablespoon of brandy along with a smashed up peach and apply to your face for twenty minutes then rinse. Makes for a great summer's night facial!
2. Moisturize dry skin with essential oils. A combination of juniper, cypress, mandarin and grapefruit will work as an astringent that will leave your skin feeling tighter. If your skin is extra dry, premix the essential oils with a teaspoon of carrier oil (mineral oil) and ad ¼ cup of milk or a tablespoon of honey to give you added moisturizing.
For more natural, home-made, skin care beauty secrets, visit the
Natural Beauty Secrets tab.
3. Try a milk of magnesia facial. Apply directly from the bottle and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse with warm water.
4. If you have particularly sensitive skin, try a Pepto Bismol facial. Apply with a soft cotton ball directly from the bottle; just as it soothes the stomach, it will sooth your skin. Cover your face and neck and allow it to dry before rinsing.
5. Use an antioxidant cream. You are bombarded every day with environmental toxins that attack the surface of your skin. In fact most damage to the skin can be attributed to free radicals. When you expose yourself to toxins like air pollution, free radical production increases. Apply an antioxidant cream to your skin before applying your sun screen.
6. If you have oily skin, only apply a toner in the T zone - your forehead, nose, (and chin, if needed).
7. Prevention! The best cure for wrinkles is to never have them in the first place! If you are like most of us, you didn’t listen to your Mom when she gave you the best skin care secrets of all - stay in the shade, stand up straight, and stop squinting! (I could kick myself for all those times I 'boiled in oil' under the blazing sun!)
8. Consider “laser skin resurfacing.” It is supposed to work for those fine lines and wrinkles of any depth. It literally zaps and vaporizes away the lines and wrinkles. The procedure is conducted in the doctor's office and it’s said that you heal within a week or so. It's fast, but expensive.
9. If your budget won’t handle laser skin resurfacing you might try a skin peel. There are several types.
Dermabrasion - This procedure literally sands the top few layers of your skin off, just like refinishing furniture! It’s done with a wire brush that rotates and is said to remove even deep wrinkles.
Maybe you would prefer something a bit less abrasive, pardon the pun. If so, you might consider a deep peel. This process is accomplished using an acid and is for moderately deep wrinkles. There are some risks associated with the acid procedure. It isn’t as stable as the laser resurfacing because there is less control of the acid solution.
Lastly, there is a glycolic or beta peel. This process won’t do much for your wrinkles, but if you are only looking to improve general skin tone, this is the one for you.
10. Try Retin A. If you want to see a smoothing of fine wrinkles and an overall healthy glow that will remove mottling and give your skin a youthful blush, then this is the route to go.
For more skin care secrets, be sure to search the other pages in this site. If you have a skin care secret that you just KNOW other readers will want to know about, PLEASE SHARE IT
Return to top of Skin Care Secrets